The building at the corner of Egmont Place and Earl Street was the residence and coaching establishment of Robert MacCartie in 1843. From here, the Mail Car left for Buttevant every morning at 8.30 as well as two cars for Cork at 6.00 and 6.30 am. The closed-in arch off Earl Street still carries the irons from which the gates to the coach yard once hung.
The County Constabulary was established in 1822 in which year the Kanturk barrack was located at the back of today’s O’Brien St. However, by March 1830, the police had moved to Chapel Lane (Church St., no. 15). The sale of this building was advertised in January 1866 and it is assumed that at this juncture the Irish Constabulary (as they were then named) transferred to Egmont Place. This remained the barrack of the Royal Irish Constabulary and their successors, An Garda Síochána, until 1981.