The block of houses in O’Brien Square, between the two bridges, once included an inn of uncertain vintage. However, it is mentioned by Lloyd in his 1821-‘22 survey of Shradeen. There are substantial cellars beneath this two-storey block, as the street level is much higher than the passage and outhouses to the rear.
The inn was frequented mostly by carmen who stayed overnight in transit to Cork city from north Kerry and west Limerick. The front entrance faced the lane leading to the rear. The inn was built at the expense of Lord Egmont and was in very poor condition in 1822 and became redundant to requirements once the Egmont Arms Hotel (no. 12) became operational. The inn once known as Glynn’s Hotel was subsequently sub-divided into four residences / shops.