The first house on the south side of Percival St, off the Market Square, was the tolls house in 1850. Tolls represented a levy on all goods sold in the market place, payable to the baron of the fair. It was probably the house of the toll-collector. To the rear of this house there was a pound, while diagonally across the Square stood the town’s market house (no. 1) for close to two centuries. All these were part of the old manorial system.